Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Battle of Cedar Creek

Jason and I went with a few of the girls from my student teaching group to see a reenactment of the Battle of Cedar Creek, fought during the Civil War. Apparently it is the only Civil War reenactment that takes place on the exact same ground that the actual battle was fought at. It was pretty cool. Maybe I say that because I grew up visiting every historical site and fort on I-80 since my mom is a History Teacher (and special ed) and my brother is now too. There were a lot of volunteers there; we were amazed by the number of people that were there to watch and participate. We found a bunch of missionary couples, about 14 of them, or more maybe. We walked through a “shopping” area and saw some fun old games and clothes and our favorites, hats. We tried some apple butter and warmed up with hot coco. It’s been really warm here in DC, about 80 the past week, but this weekend it got really chilly. It was a perfect October day in the Appellation Mountains. The trees are starting to change colors and the sky looked beautiful! Also, has anyone every wondered why we don’t have an Emancipation Day as a national holiday? Just a thought… it is a holiday in the West Indies when slavery was abolished there, but we don’t really do anything here. I guess DC celebrates April 16th as Emancipation Day, but I think it should be national.

The Union Calvary!

Doesn't Jason look like a sly stagecoach robber or something?

No comments: